Underlying Problems That Get Missed

Today, I ran a service call with another tech where the previous tech had diagnosed an intermittent piston restriction. I read the history beforehand. For the past several years, there were many assorted comfort complaints and a lot of minor charge adjustments in both the summer and winter. It is worth noting here that the system, like many in our market, was a heat pump.

There were mentions of freeze-up during the summer and high-pressure cut-out during the winter, which had me thinking it was an airflow issue even before we arrived.

As we pulled up, I noticed it was a townhome community with four homes per building.

There was no tenant home, so we accessed the home via lockbox, and as we walked up the stairs, I noticed the home was quite small, with two bedrooms and two baths. When we opened the air handler closet, it was… 3.5 tons.

The place had 12″ x 12″ tiles on the floor, and it was a simple rectangle, so we counted up length x width, and the entire home was just under 1200 sqft.

Now, sqft per ton is no way to do a load calculation, I admit it.

But this townhome had occupied spaces on both sides, meaning the only exposures and windows were on two sides, with big trees shading the back. The building was built in 2007, and this system was installed in 2016.

What's the next move you would make?

Common Sense

The great thing about having four other near-identical units on the building is that we can easily see what tonnage they had installed, and they were 2-ton units. Makes more sense.

So, in 2016, some fly-by-night company hacked in a 3.5-ton unit rather than using a 2-ton that may have been a little oversized in the first place, given the low loads on this home.

The result is a system that is running REALLY low airflow, resulting in low evap temperature and low superheat in the summer and high head pressure in the winter. Techs had tried to “fix” the problem each year with little charge adjustments rather than finding and fixing the underlying issue.

After walking around the home, we found some vents closed—likely because they were blowing somebody's wig off with the high air velocity.

We went into the attic and found some ducts unsealed, some insulation pushed out of the way, and two bath fans venting freely in the attic.

None of this required fancy tools or advanced diagnostic techniques to diagnose, just some common sense, some looking around, and a little comparison to figure out the story.

Elementary, my dear Watson. Elementary.

—Bryan

Related Tech Tips

Incorporating Electrical Quality Into Diagnosis
This article (and many other great training articles) was written by my friend and great educator Jamie Kitchen. This article was originally posted on LinkedIn HERE and has been republished for your benefit with his permission. Thanks, Jamie! I remember back in college I was immersed in a particularly challenging problem dealing with poly-phase circuits. […]
Read more
Simple Pump Selection Part 2
Another follow-up article by Michael Housh… Enjoy! In this article, I thought I would show a pump curve and match it up with our system head-loss curve that we created in the last article, but before I do that, I thought I would talk a little bit more about the system head-loss curve and why […]
Read more
Wiring and Setting of Humidistat/Dehumidistat in Humid Climates
If you live in a dry climate, a humidistat is pretty straightforward; it just turns a humidifier on and off. That's about as simple as it gets. If you are in a humid climate, some people have taken to wiring in humidistats as dehumidistats to help control humidity when they are away. The first thing […]
Read more

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

loading

To continue you need to agree to our terms.

The HVAC School site, podcast and daily tech tips
Made possible by Generous support from