This is the page you share with the newbie in your life when they want to call you about everything instead of taking the time to read and understand.
You will find 227 posts in the category Tech Tips on this blog.
- 5 Capacitor Facts You Should Know
- 5 Things to Consider When Maintaining a Commercial Package Unit
- 500 BTUs per Person Per Hour?
- A Case For Wireless Refrigerant Probes
- A Common Sense Look at Temperature Conversions
- A Liquid Line Solenoid and What it Does
- A REALLY loud compressor
- A Steam Heating Primer
- Accumulator & Burnout Considerations
- Adiabatic Cooling, Blower Settings and Why You Care
- Ain’t No Fooling With Free Cooling (Tales of the Economizer)
- Air Filter Static Pressure Drop
- Air is Squishy – Measuring Airflow w/ Bill Spohn
- Air Velocity Quick Tips
- An Electric Heat Mistake
- An even EASIER way to check capacitors
- Another Drain Issue
- Are The Multi Taps on a Blower Run or Common?
- Balanced Port TXV
- Basic Refrigeration Startup & Commissioning
- Be Careful When Jumping Out a Blower
- Bending EMT
- Boiler Basics Part 1 – Types and Components
- Boiler Basics Part 2 – Components
- Boiler Basics Part 3 – Steam
- Boiler Basics Part 4 – Piping
- Building Automation Basics for the HVAC Tech w/ Phil Zito (Podcast)
- C stands for “Common Mistake”
- Can Pulling a Vacuum too Fast Freeze Water / Moisture?
- Careful With Cleaners
- Careful With That 40VA Transformer
- Cased Coil Misalignment
- Change O-rings not Hoses
- Changing Refrigerants and Why it Matters to You
- Clocking a Gas Meter (It’s not that hard)
- CO2 Booster Systems (Codenamed CO2 is Interesting and Weird)
- Combustion Air
- Combustion and Confined Spaces
- Commercial Contactor Considerations
- Common Concrete Anchor Fails
- Condensate Drainage in a High Efficiency Gas Furnace
- Condensate Switch Controversy
- Condensation – It Isn’t Where Hot Meets Cold
- Control Voltage Overamp – The Less Usual Cause
- Cooling Capacity Isn’t Always What it Seems
- Crankcase Heaters and Single Pole Contactors
- Dalton’s Law of Partial Pressures
- Design Temperature Difference for Chillers
- Diagnosing and Finding a Refrigerant Restriction
- Do You Need to Be Recovering Into a Vacuum?
- Does a Motor Draw More or Less at lower Voltage?
- Does Refrigerant Get Old or Wear Out?
- Don’t forget the Panel
- Don’t Forget the Suction Filter / Drier
- Don’t Install Your Micron Gauge at the Pump
- Don’t use Tank Caps on Systems
- Double Lugging, A Common Mistake
- Drains and Double traps
- Drip Loops and Straws
- ECM, VFD and Inverter – What’s the Difference?
- Electronic Leak Detection
- Electronic Leak Detection DOES WORK
- EPR valves 101
- Ever Hear of Copper Plating Inside the Compressor?
- Famous Last Words (Before a Callback)
- Fan On or Fan Auto
- Fancy Refrigerant Words
- Fire Damper Tips
- Flame Sensing – The Basics
- For us Southern Techs
- Gas Defrost
- Get an EEV Open (Like Magic)
- Giving Static for Failing to Take Static
- Grounding and Bonding Myths
- Heat Pump Defrost Sensor vs. Thermostat
- How Long Should I Evacuate a System?
- How to Determine the Friction Rate for Residential Duct Design
- HUGE Summer Tool and Products Giveaway
- HVAC Fire Safety Systems in Restaurants
- HVAC/R Refrigerant Cycle Basics
- Ice Machines – Cuber, Flaker & Nugget Basics
- Inches of Water Column
- Infared Thermometers.. Yuck!
- Infrared vs. Heated Diode Leak Detectors
- Introduction to Pool Heat Pumps
- Introduction to SORIT Valves
- Is it too cold to set the charge?
- It has a flat for a reason
- Leak Detection on Large Systems
- Lifting Techniques Part 1 – Basics
- Lifting Techniques Part 2 – Pulleys
- Lifting Techniques Part 3 – Complex Block & Tackle
- Lifting Techniques Part 4 – Using Unistrut
- Lifting Techniques Part 5 – Really HEAVY Stuff
- Low Ambient, Condenser Flooding and Headmaster Valves Podcast Companion
- Making a Flare – Quick Tips
- MeasureQuick Launch Is HERE
- Milivolt Systems w/ Modern Thermostats
- Modulation Motors
- Motor Service Factor
- Motor Speed – The Basics
- Motor Types
- Multimeter Categories
- Negative Superheat? Time to Check Your Tools
- No, It’s NOT a Ground!
- No, Recharging R22 Isn’t “Illegal”
- Ohm my
- Ohms / Continuity Basics
- Oil and Refrigerant
- Oil Management and Diagnosis
- Oil Nozzles
- Oil Pressure Controls
- Open and Closed Case
- Other Great Sources
- Parallel Circuit Resistance
- Piston vs. TXV Metering Devices
- Pool Heat Pumps, The Basics
- Potential for Good and Evil (The Hard Start & Potential Relay)
- Practical Application of Gas Laws
- Proper Liquid Line Drier Location
- Properly Diagnosing a Gas Furnace Pressure Switch
- Pull The Top
- Purge Your Hoses
- R22 Retrofit Tips
- Recovery Tank Capacity
- Refrigerant Charging Basics For Air Conditioning & Heat Pump Systems
- Refrigerant Recovery Practices
- Relative Humidity in the Supply Air Stream
- Remove “Weep” Plugs on Motors
- RH, DB and WB
- Scroll Compressor Pump Down, Megohm Test & Fusite Terminals
- Sealing Boxes / Boots / Cans
- Setting & Checking a Charge in the Rain
- Short Circuits
- Sight Glass / Moisture Indicator
- Size and Orientation of Return Grilles and Supply Registers
- Solenoid Facts
- Some Belt Tensioning Thoughts
- Some Furnace Questions
- Some Important Terms to Know
- Something You May Want to Consider on Every Call
- Splicing Wires – Bad, Good, Better, Best
- Stacking Evaporator Coil Stages
- Start Flowing Nitrogen Sooner
- Static Pressure – Why Measure It?
- Static Pressure, Manometers and Magnehelics
- Switch voltage
- TD of Refrigeration Evaporators
- Tech Question – Why Do ECM Motors Trip a GFCI?
- Tech Tip – Switch Terms
- Techs are Under Pressure
- Testing a Thermocouple
- Testing Electric Heat – A Cautionary Tale
- Testing Run Capacitors the Smart (and Easy) Way
- Testing the Leak Rate on Your Micron Gauge Itself
- Testing, Recovery and Charging a Sealed System
- TH, TR and TH/TR Gas Valve Terminals
- That Rusty Coil / Galvanic Corrosion
- The “5 Pillars” of Residential A/C Refrigerant Circuit Diagnosis
- The “Approach” Method of Charging and Condenser Efficiency
- The “Other” Pressure Switch
- The 10 Commandments of the HVAC/R Technician
- The Case for Checking the Charge Without Using Gauges
- The Case For Pulling The Blower Housing
- The Difference Between Variable Speed and X13 Motors
- The Extension Cord Puzzle
- The Good Old Heat Anticipator
- THE MOST IMPORTANT skill a tech can have
- The Slow Death of the Honest Technician
- The Sneaky Effects of Radiant Heat Transfer
- The Two OTHER EPA violations
- The Unexpected Result of Series Circuits
- Think before you drill
- This is Not a Soft Start
- Troubleshooting Advanced Systems
- Troubleshooting for HVAC/R – Data Analysis
- Troubleshooting For HVAC/R – Gathering Data
- Troubleshooting for HVAC/R – Repairs, Reevaluation and Wrap up
- Troubleshooting For HVAC/R, The Don’t List
- Try and Stay Warm (Yes this is a Tip About Staying Warm)
- Tunnel Vision and How to Avoid It
- TXV Bulb Placement
- TXV Power Element of Surprise
- Uncommon start and run
- Understand Dew Point and Absolute Moisture, The Right Side of the Psych Chart
- Understanding Relays With the 90-340
- Use Your Senses First
- UV Lights
- Venting for High efficiency Gas Furnaces – Part 1 Materials
- Venting for High efficiency Gas Furnaces – Part 2 Assembly
- W1, W2 & E
- Watch it Hercules
- Watts so confusing?
- Weighing Refrigerant In and Out
- Wet Bulb and Enthalpy – The Left Side of the Chart
- What does “RES” mean on a contactor or relay?
- What if you Only Have One Large Hose?
- What is “Cascade” Refrigeration?
- What is a GFI?
- What is a Micron?
- What is an ERV?
- What Is Temperature Glide?
- What Makes an Autotransformer Different?
- What Should My Subcooling Be?
- What Should My Superheat Be?
- What Willis Understood
- What’s So Wrong With “Beer Can Cold”?
- Which valve do I open first?
- Why (and When) Do We Need Defrost?
- Why A/C Systems Freeze
- Why and how to adjust a TXV / TEV
- Why Compression Ratio Matters
- Why Discharge Line Temperature is a Useful Reading
- Why is 240V called “Single Phase”?
- Why is the Breaker Tripping?
- Why Many Techs Confuse Overload, Short & Ground Fault
- Why Measuring Static First Isn’t Always Productive
- Why Selecting Equipment is Important (and Hard)
- Why You Need a Torque Wrench (or Two…)
- Wide, Narrow, Wide Diagnosis