This is the page you share with the newbie in your life when they want to call you about everything instead of taking the time to read and understand.
You will find 165 posts in the category Tech Tips on this blog.
- A Case For Smart Probes
- A Pump Down Solenoid and What it Does
- A REALLY loud compressor
- A Steam Heating Primer
- Accumulator & Burnout Considerations
- Adiabatic Cooling, Blower Settings and Why You Care
- Air Velocity Quick Tips
- An Electric Heat Mistake
- An even EASIER way to check capacitors
- Another Drain Issue
- Are The Multi Taps on a Blower Run or Common?
- Basic Refrigeration Startup & Commissioning
- Be Careful When Jumping Out a Blower
- Boiler Basics Part 1 – Types and Components
- Boiler Basics Part 2 – Components
- Boiler Basics Part 3 – Steam
- Boiler Basics Part 4 – Piping
- C stands for “Common Mistake”
- Can Pulling a Vacuum too Fast Freeze Water / Moisture?
- Careful With Cleaners
- Careful With That 40VA Transformer
- Cased Coil Misalignment
- Change Orings not Hoses
- Clocking a Gas Meter (It’s not that hard)
- CO2 Booster Systems (Codenamed CO2 is Interesting and Weird)
- Combustion Air
- Common Concrete Anchor Fails
- Condensate Drainage in a High Efficiency Gas Furnace
- Control Voltage Overamp – The Less Usual Cause
- Cooling Capacity Isn’t Always What it Seems
- Crankcase Heaters and Single Pole Contactors
- Do You Need to Be Recovering Into a Vacuum?
- Does a Motor Draw More or Less at lower Voltage?
- Does Refrigerant Get Old or Wear Out?
- Don’t Install Your Micron Gauge at the Pump
- Drains and Double traps
- ECM, VFD and Inverter – What’s the Difference?
- Electronic Leak Detection
- Electronic Leak Detection DOES WORK
- EPR valves 101
- Ever Hear of Copper Plating Inside the Compressor?
- Famous Last Words (Before a Callback)
- Fancy Refrigerant Words
- Fire Damper Tips
- Flame Sensing – The Basics
- For us Southern Techs
- Heat Pump Defrost Sensor vs. Thermostat
- How Long Should I Evacuate a System?
- How to Determine the Friction Rate for Residential Duct Design
- HVAC Fire Safety Systems in Restaurants
- Ice Machines – Cuber, Flaker & Nugget Basics
- Important Recovery Tank Handling Information
- Inches of Water Column
- Infared Thermometers.. Yuck!
- Infrared vs. Heated Diode Leak Detectors
- Is it too cold to set the charge?
- It has a flat for a reason
- Leak Detection on Large Systems
- Lifting Techniques Part 1 – Basics
- Lifting Techniques Part 2 – Pulleys
- Lifting Techniques Part 3 – Complex Block & Tackle
- Lifting Techniques Part 4 – Using Unistrut
- Lifting Techniques Part 5 – Really HEAVY Stuff
- Low Ambient, Condenser Flooding and Headmaster Valves Podcast Companion
- Making a Flare – Quick Tips
- Modulation Motors
- Motor Service Factor
- Motor Speed – The Basics
- Motor Types
- Multimeter Categories
- Ohm my
- Ohms / Continuity Basics
- Oil and Refrigerant
- Oil Management and Diagnosis
- Oil Nozzles
- Oil Pressure Controls
- Open and Closed Case
- Piston vs. TXV
- Pool Heat Pumps, The Basics
- Potential for Good and Evil (The Hard Start & Potential Relay)
- Practical Application of Gas Laws
- Proper Liquid Line Drier Location
- Properly Diagnosing a Gas Furnace Pressure Switch
- Pull The Top
- Purge Your Hoses
- R22 Retrofit Tips
- Refrigerant Charging Basics For Air Conditioning & Heat Pump Systems
- Refrigerant Recovery Practices
- Relative Humidity in the Supply Air Stream
- RH, DB and WB
- Scroll Compressor Pump Down, Megohm Test & Fusite Terminals
- Short Circuits
- Sight Glass / Moisture Indicator
- Solenoid Facts
- Some Belt Tensioning Thoughts
- Some Furnace Questions
- Something You May Want to Consider on Every Call
- Splicing Wires – Bad, Good, Better, Best
- Static Pressure, Manometers and Magnehelics
- Switch voltage
- Tech Question – Why Do ECM Motors Trip a GFCI?
- Tech Tip – Switch Terms
- Techs are Under Pressure
- Testing a Thermocouple
- Testing Electric Heat – A Cautionary Tale
- Testing Run Capacitors the Smart (and Easy) Way
- Testing, Recovery and Charging a Sealed System
- That Rusty Coil / Galvanic Corrosion
- The “5 Pillars” of Residential A/C Refrigerant Circuit Diagnosis
- The “Other” Pressure Switch
- The Case For Pulling The Blower Housing
- The Difference Between Variable Speed and X13 Motors
- The Extension Cord Puzzle
- The Good Old Heat Anticipator
- THE MOST IMPORTANT skill a tech can have
- The Slow Death of the Honest Technician
- The Two OTHER EPA violations
- The Unexpected Result of Series Circuits
- Think before you drill
- This is Not a Soft Start
- Troubleshooting Advanced Systems
- Troubleshooting for HVAC/R – Data Analysis
- Troubleshooting For HVAC/R – Gathering Data
- Troubleshooting for HVAC/R – Repairs, Reevaluation and Wrap up
- Troubleshooting For HVAC/R, The Don’t List
- Try and Stay Warm (Yes this is a Tip About Staying Warm)
- TXV Bulb Placement
- TXV Power Element of Surprise
- Uncommon start and run
- Understand Dew Point and Absolute Moisture, The Right Side of the Psych Chart
- Use Your Senses First
- UV Lights
- Venting for High efficiency Gas Furnaces – Part 1 Materials
- Venting for High efficiency Gas Furnaces – Part 2 Assembly
- W1, W2 & E
- Watch it Hercules
- Watts so confusing?
- Weighing Refrigerant In and Out
- Wet Bulb and Enthalpy – The Left Side of the Chart
- What is “Cascade” Refrigeration?
- What is a GFI?
- What is a Micron?
- What Is Temperature Glide?
- What Makes an Autotransformer Different?
- What Should My Subcooling Be?
- What Should My Superheat Be?
- Which valve do I open first?
- Why (and When) Do We Need Defrost?
- Why and how to adjust a TXV / TEV
- Why Discharge Line Temperature is a Useful Reading
- Why is 240V called “Single Phase”?
- Why Measuring Static First Isn’t Always Productive
- Why Most Techs Confuse Overload, Short & Ground Fault
- Why You Need a Torque Wrench (or Two…)
- Wide, Narrow, Wide Diagnosis